Re: Cost analysis: (was: Getting to Consensus: CONTINUATION-related issues)

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 11:24:22AM -0700, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 18 July 2014 10:57, Jason Greene <jason.greene@redhat.com> wrote:
> > It???s extra complexity, but the implementation isn???t difficult (a cake walk compared to other aspects of the spec). I can certainly appreciate the perspective from implementations that don???t want to touch their code though.
>
> I realize that this is a standard sophist technique in this forum, but
> I find that selectively trivializing various aspects of the space
> isn't particularly constructive.  Let's try to be even-handed in our
> analysis.
>
> On the one side:
>
> CONTINUATION has a cost in code complexity.  It defers the discovery
> of what might be a surprisingly large amount of state.
>
> On the other:
>
> A hard cap on size (i.e., option A) has a cost in code complexity.  It
> requires that encoders be prepared to double their state commitment so
> that they can roll back their header table when the cap is hit.  When
> you consider compression, it does not prevent there from being a
> surprisingly large quantity of header information.
>
> Option B seems almost orthogonal to these points, providing a 431
> warning.  I'm not really certain how it would be used.
>
> Did I miss anything else pertinent to the discussion?

Option B doesn't state that CONTINUATION are only used after a full
header frame so it does not completely solve the issue. If it offered
that provision, implementations could decide that upon receiving CONT
they respond with a 431. That would discourage abusing CONT and sending
too large headers (that would lead to the situation we have in 1.1 where
interoperability is rather good overall).

Willy