Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-latest, 8.1.2.1 Request Header Fields | Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-latest, 5.5 Extending HTTP/2

On 17 July 2014 13:06, Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org> wrote:
> seems allow :scheme = ws[s]

This is true, though you aren't really getting what you think at that
point.  See RFC 7230:

   HTTP is also designed for use as an intermediation protocol for
   translating communication to and from non-HTTP information systems.
   HTTP proxies and gateways can provide access to alternative
   information services by translating their diverse protocols into a
   hypertext format that can be viewed and manipulated by clients in the
   same way as HTTP services.

The implication here being that the data from the non-HTTP information
system can be put in an HTTP message.

> So I guess that intermediaries does not need care about
> :scheme. Is there anything why web server needs care
> about :scheme request field ?  Looks like that web
> server may "safely" ignore it.

That entirely depends on what the intermediary is doing.  A tunnel can
probably ignore the field.

> In both cases intermediaries need to know that its is full-duplex
> communications inside of HTTP/2 stream (that is not HTTP
> request/reply exchange).

Correct.

> In other hand :method = CONNECT does not like

You can use CONNECT to do websockets, but that's not the form of the
protocol we've been discussing.  We've been discussing integration, as
opposed to tunneling.