Getting to Consensus on 1xx Status Codes (#535)

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 15:40:07 +1000
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
<https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/535>

So far, we've had two proposals for this issue;

a) Accommodating non-final responses in HTTP/2
    See Julian's proposal at <https://gist.github.com/reschke/48ec30b0ac9d012b8b4e> for an idea of how this would look in the spec.

b) Publishing a separate document deprecating 1xx status codes
    Thereby preventing the establishment of new ones (HTTP/2 already defines how to deal with 100, and 101 is not relevant to this protocol. 102 was dropped by its primary use case, WebDAV, here: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#appendix-F.3>)

I'd like to hear:

1) Your preferred outcome (if any)
2) Whether you can live with the other option, and if not, why

"I have no preference" is useful information too.

If you indicate you can't live with one (or both) of the options, you MUST give a detailed, relevant reason as to why; omitting the reason means your "can't live with" will be ignored.

Thanks,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/