RE: "Upgrade: h2c"

Hi Martin-

On Wednesday,16 July 2014 14:06, msweet@apple.com wrote:
> You're getting a 1xx status code, which always means that another response is
> coming - I don't see that as confusing.

Yes.  Sorry.  I understand that now - shows my ignorance regarding 1xx codes (or lack of experience therewith).

> Would it be possible to add
> or replace "HTTP2-Settings" with a "HTTP2-Frames" header that includes a base-
> 64 encoded value of the following frames: SETTINGS HEADERS+. Where
> HEADERS+ includes the first request hpack-encoded plus any *speculative
> requests* the client wants to pipeline in anticipation of the server switching to
> h2c?
>

> Since the initial HEADERS come from the HTTP/1.x request, what purpose would
> that serve?

Yes, I also understand that now.  In my follow-up e-mail I changed my suggestion to be "HTTP2-Frames: b64(SETTINGS HEADERS*)".

The benefit would be that in addition to the initial request (which, as you point out, has its headers in the HTTP/1.x request), the client could speculatively pipeline h2c requests for other resources (e.g. on a browser restart).

Otherwise the client has to wait 1 RTT before it can send any more requests.

This might be particularly useful if the client knows it is likely the server will accept the "Upgrade" to h2c e.g. it accepted an upgrade in the past.

-keith

This email message is intended only for the use of the named recipient. Information contained in this email message and its attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.