Re: Call for Consensus: Remove "reference set" from HPACK (to address #552)

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 14:39:59 +1000
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu@iij.ad.jp>, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com>
On 15 July 2014 14:28, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reasons I cited are still relevant considering that most entries
> don't have associated values.

Well of course literal fields with index'd names will be copied into the
header table.  That is an entirely different matter than copying an indexed
static field.

To be precise I am concerned with the text in 4.1 that says:

   An _indexed representation_ corresponding to an entry _not present_
   in the reference set entails the following actions:

   o  If referencing an element of the static table:

      *  The header field corresponding to the referenced entry is
         emitted.

      *  The referenced static entry is inserted at the beginning of the
         header table.

      *  A reference to this new header table entry is added to the
         reference set, unless this new entry didn't fit in the header
         table.

I believe that if we do not have a reference set, then this should just
become:

   An _indexed representation_ entails the following actions:

   o  If referencing an element of the static table:

      *  The header field corresponding to the referenced entry is
         emitted.

I just cannot understand why you wish to create an entry in the dynamic
table whenever the static table index is used for something like
:status:200 ?    I only just accepted the reason that it limited the
reference set size to 0 if the header table size was set to 0.  Now there
is no reference set, there is no reason for this.

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>