Re: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-reschke-http-jfv-00.txt

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:50:40 +0000
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
In message <CABP7Rbe7rZv88WjJGW-2DzyheMh4BsCGEpzzSwRUU_NJS6V+Rg@mail.gmail.com>, James M Snell wr
ites:

>Sanity around header structure is a good thing, but I'm -1 on forcing
>dependency on a json decoder.

As long as you don't propose ASN.1 instead :-)

>Let's invest time in an efficient binary encoding that gives us easy,
>reliable parsing.

This is where I think we should really work on three levels of
data:
	routing-headers (first line of HTTP/1 sans :query)
	metadata
	entity-body

For routing-headers, yes, they should be binary and very cheap to access.

For metadata I think interoperability is more important than raw performance
and I would prefer we don't invent a new format, but piggy-back on some
existing encoding.

But this is clearly HTTP/3 stuff, so lets put it on the afterburner...