Re: Striving for Compromise (Consensus?)

In message <CABkgnnUTMTfR51hZJ__CpDWA0C8pG6HHBih9HVgKoZ=WH5AS=A@mail.gmail.com>, Martin Thomson w
rites:
>On 11 July 2014 14:53, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>> If 256 bytes is enough for basic interop, we shouldn't require more.
>
>I find this reasonably convincing.  Interoperability is what we are
>looking for here.
>
>An alternative approach would be to set the default and minimum to the
>same value.  That has other benefits, like being able to completely
>ignore a setting from the other side.  That seems pretty attractive.

There were no default in our proposal, only a minimum and a MUST
that 16k *can* be configured.

I don't see any reason, nor any gain, by forcing a server to accept
16K (compressed!) header-sets by default, if the application it
runs is never ever going to be subject to valid requests larger
than 3K ?

Who would benefit from that ?