RE: Striving for Compromise (Consensus?)

We are OK with the first 4, but we agree that 5 is a bad idea.

-Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Thomson [mailto:martin.thomson@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:48 AM
To: Greg Wilkins
Cc: Jeff Pinner; HTTP Working Group
Subject: Re: Striving for Compromise (Consensus?)

This seems to be the set that people are talking about most seriously:

On 11 July 2014 00:48, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com> wrote:
> 1) Increase frame size to 16-bits
> 1a) Add a settings for max_frame_size
> 1b) ...that defaults to 16k
> 1c) ...with some minimum (which might be 256, though a 256 byte frame
> could be all padding...)
> 2) Remove reference set from HPACK allowing for "streaming" decoding.
> 3) Requiring that all ":"-headers appear first.
> 4) Only allowing CONTINUATION if the previous frame is max_frame_size.
>
> 5) Allowing interleaving of CONTINUATION frames with other frames.
> 5b) The size of the HEADERS and CONTINUATION frames are removed from
> the flow control window, but the they are never flow controlled.

I think that 4 and 5 might be problematic.

4 doesn't seem to be well understood, but the interaction between TCP congestion window and something like the proposed 5b could mean some serious stalling/HOL issues.  More serious than the issues it purports to address.

I think that 5 is a non-starter.  Roberto's analysis on this has convinced me that this is an undesirable feature.