Re: Striving for Compromise (Consensus?)

On Jul 11, 2014, at 2:46 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 July 2014 12:40, Jason Greene <jason.greene@redhat.com> wrote:
>> You can do that the same (and prevent it the same) either way. I can create N connections with incomplete headers just as easily as I can create N streams. The server can prevent N streams just as easily as it can prevent N connections.
>
> The limit that a server might permit is very different for streams and
> connections, so it's not the same thing at all.

I can have 300k requests delivered over any ratio of connections to streams. Granted connects are a bit more throttled, and make a bit more noise.

>> Roberto’s analysis is really just an argument that streaming is problematic for receivers, and to that I agree. If it’s benefits are to be limited to 1:1 connection proxies then I don’t think the benefits of the feature justify its complexity.
>
> It's more than that, it's an observation that concurrency limits
> matter.  The current design limits this particular point to 1, not
> SETTINGS_MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS.  That bounds state commitments in a
> predictable fashion.

The DOS attack is the amount of memory allocated per incomplete request. The server can track that, and it can easily RST_STREAM when it detects there is too much.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat