Re: Large Frames, Continuations, Flow Control, and changing HPACK

From: Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 15:48:55 -0700
To: Nicholas Hurley <hurley@todesschaf.org>
Cc: Jason Greene <jason.greene@redhat.com>, Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>, Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
> .... Being required to split the
> HPACK encoding at JUST the right point to fit in a 64k frame is a much
> uglier change than asking "I've generated more than 16k of headers. Does my
> peer support a frame size that this fits in?"

This isn't really an accurate description. Without the reference set,
HPACK is now streaming so the decision becomes:

1) Encode this header into x bytes.
2) Is x > 64k? This will never work any more, ABORT!
3) Do x more bytes fit into this frame?
4a) If yes, add x bytes and increase frame length.
4b) If no, flush this frame and start a new one.