Re: Large Frames, Continuations, Flow Control, and changing HPACK

On 08 Jul 2014, at 19:05, "jpinner@twitter.com" <jpinner@twitter.com> wrote:

> To be clear, the proposal is:
>
> 1) Remove the reference set from HPACK (use "Linear-H")
> 2) Increase the frame size to 16-bits
> 3) Allow interleaving of HEADERS frames
> 4) Remove the "\0" separator hack.
>
> Coupling this with my earlier proposal to add a "SYN_STREAM" header
> would also allow us to:
>
> 5) Remove CONTINUATION frames entirely
> 6) Move END_* flags to the last HEADERS frame
> 7) Flow control HEADERS frames

Hi Jeff-

Can you please explain why the SYN_STREAM frame is necessary? It seems to me that just removing the reference set would get rid of the need for CONTINUATION frames since there would no longer be a requirement to process all headers together as one big "jumbo block", just a requirement to process frames in order.

To be short, it seems to me that getting rid of the reference set also solves 5, 6, & 7??

-Keith

This email message is intended only for the use of the named recipient. Information contained in this email message and its attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.