Re: Large Frame Proposal

On 7 July 2014 18:27, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Hi Greg (et al),
>
> Thanks for the proposal. The most immediate concern I have here is how
> SETTINGS is used; see my recent e-mail to Jason.

Mark,

In reference to your comment:

> SETTINGS is explicitly not a negotiation mechanism; it only allows one
end to advertise its configuration to its peer.

> In this case, the semantic of MHS (MAX_HEADER_SIZE) would be roughly "I
allow headers
> coming at me to be at most THIS BIG." There's no way for the peer to ask
for more; it has to
> accept the limitation.

Correct!  This is not intended to be a negotiation, it is simply intended
to make explicit the current HTTP semantics that allows a server to reject
large entities.    It is not an invitation to haggle with an endpoint, the
endpoint is simply saying - don't even think about sending me a header
larger than this setting.

Endpoint already have limitation, which can only be discovered by
attempting to send a header block, only to receive a 413.  This proposal
puts the burden on the sender rather than the receiver to enforce such
limitations.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>