Re: trailers and pseudo-headers

On 2014-07-02 13:12, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Julian,
>
> On Jul 2, 2014, at 3:43 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> It would also be pretty pointless:  It would just shift the buffering
>>> responsibility from the server to the client.
>>
>> What I meant is: an *additional* :status (such as in first claiming everything is ok -- 200, then start streaming and failing, and then send a 500 in the trailers).
>
> As you've noted, you can't do that in HTTP/1.1, and in fact this would be a case where I would emit 100 (continue) to the client to let them know they can continue sending data, then follow up with a final status code (200, 500, whatever) once I'd processed the message body and any trailers in the request.

When I said "streaming" I was referring to the process of sending the
payload in the response.

There are many cases where a server would say "200", and then start a
complicated process that might fail half-way. In HTTP/1.1, signalling an
error in this situation is hard (abort the chunked transfer or close the
connection). It would be good if HTTP/2 can do better here.

Best regards, Julian