Re: #536: clarify extensibility for :pseudo header fields

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 06:30:11 +0000
To: David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com>
cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <961E96EE-0554-48AD-907C-FD3055584CE2@gmail.com>, David Krauss writes:

>On 2014=9607=9602, at 2:07 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>
>> Now I'm confused. We're currently talking about whether extra :headers =
>are a hard error when http/2 is in use. What's an ALPN-basis API?

I always assumed that the :headers only were HTTP/2s internal way of
representing the first line of HTTP/1 messages on the wire, not a way
to add an entirely new namespace to HTTP headers/metadata ?

If some extensions need namespaces in HTTP headers, we should add
namespaces which will (or can be made to) work in both HTTP/1,
HTTP/2 and any future HTTP versions, not latch onto an implementation
detail in one particular version of HTTP.

Traditionally namespaces delimiters have been ':' but that will certainly
break too many HTTP/1 implementations to be feasible, but there are plenty
of ASCII characters available that could be used: '=', '/' and so on.

In other words:  Please limit :headers to the ones in 8.1.3.1 and 8.1.3.2
and make attempts to smuggle any other :header through a hard protocol error.