Re: Encouraging a healthy HTTP/2 ecosystem

On 1 Jul 2014, at 5:14 pm, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> In message <F19D7D32-4264-423A-8B9B-F6F9036ACFEE@mnot.net>, Mark Nottingham writes:
>
>> I appreciate you're concerned about the CONTINUATION issue, but using it
>> to derail other discussions isn't appropriate.
>
> This is very much a discussion about CONTINUATION:  The proposal is
> to abuse market dominance to force CONTINUATION to be implemented
> where it is neither needed nor desired.

As Will said, it was very clearly qualified with "If we think..."   That was an invitation to a discussion, not an ultimatum.

> If you prefer, I can use the term "mafia-methods" rather than "blackmail" ?

Your word choices can be amusing, and that seems to get you lots of readers in places like your ACM Queue articles.

Here, however, they're causing distractions, and the IETF process is very clear about that. BCP54 makes it clear that we argue the proposals, not attack the person (or intimidate them). Saying that a suggestion is "blackmail" isn't arguing the proposal, it's smearing the proposer.

Keep in mind that you're arguing on the side that's saying they won't correctly implement an open standard if this feature is included -- and no one has yet accused them of bad behaviour as a result. All that I ask is that you grant the same benefit of the doubt that those you disagree with give you.

BCP83 goes on to say that "good faith disagreement is a healthy part of the consensus-driven process." You're welcome to disagree, but please do so in good faith.

Thanks,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/