Re: Encouraging a healthy HTTP/2 ecosystem

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 06:23:14 +0000
To: William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ) <willchan@chromium.org>
In message <CAA4WUYgqE02o9jftm1ERJGsKBqau9CRAJ4=JF0r3x-11gh5ZXQ@mail.gmail.com>, =?UTF-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBDaGF
uICjpmYjmmbrmmIwp?= writes:

>This has come up in a number of different discussions over time, and I
>thought it'd be nice to gather a list of things that it'd be useful if
>major implementations did in order to keep the ecosystem healthy.

The best way to "keep the ecosystem healthy" is to write a good and
simple standard without bogus misfeatures like CONTINUATION.

>* Make sure to use features that aren't necessarily required, in order to
>make sure they remain viable. For example:
>  - If we think servers need to at least be able to support reading
>continuation frames (if not necessarily use them themselves), then clients
>should make sure to exercise this code path some part of the time.

You have heard a rather large number of intermediaries say clearly that
they will not implement CONTINUATION, trying to force them to using this
sort of "blackmail" ain't gonna make you and your browser any friends.