Re: draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:41:31PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <532C4E6C.1070802@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes:
>
> >> What happened to the KISS principle ?
> >
> >It died when we agreed that we want to be able to gateway between 1.*
> >and 2.*, and not ever break existing semantics.
> >
> >Essentially, HTTP/2 is only a new wire format, and it inherits all
> >legacy not related to the wire format from 1.1.
>
> Then I'd like to offer two proposals:
>
> 1. Rename the current drafts "HTTP/1.2" to indicate that all the
>    crap will be the same.
>
> 2. Start working on a real HTTP/2.0 protocol, which tries to solve
>    the actual problems with HTTP/1.x

Off-topic as well, but I'm sure that 2.0 will drive the adoption of
an easier version upgrade path for the future and that we'll be able
to propose 3.0 (or whatever we call it) later to break compatibility
again and clean the mess because people will be more careful about
the products they deploy after having been burnt by 2.0. So let 2.0
be marketing + new on-wire format (+ catch all post-release issues)
and fix them once everything is clearer in field.

Willy