Re: Support for gzip at the server #424

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 03:22:01PM -0700, William Chan (?????????) wrote:
> Correct. But IIUC, the problem is the client doesn't know if there's a 1.0
> intermediary or backend in the path, or if the 2.0 gateway is willing to
> buffer (sounds crazy, but just for completeness I mentioned it). So the
> client can't assume gzip support at the peer, even though we suspect most
> would support it. Since we can't assume by default, I was thinking maybe we
> can assume by having the server/proxy explicitly declare support.

Another point is that I'm suspecting that gunzip on 2.0->1.x gateways will
be disabled because of seucrity issues. It's so much easy to exploit random
decompressors for size amplification that I'm having a hard time imagining
that this will remain enabled for a long time :-/

With an amplification ratio of 1000, you only need 1 Mbps upload to saturate
the Gig link of a gateway...

Willy