Re: Please don't block HTTP/2 on the "http:// schemed URIs over TLS" issue

On 2014-03-05 07:35, Brian Smith wrote:
> In the Zurich interim meeting of the HTTP/2 working group in January,
> there was strong agreement amongst the people in the room that it is
> critical that we quickly resolve the remaining blocking issues so that
> HTTP/2 can advance through the standards process, in order to encourage
> the quick deployment of HTTP/2 by web browsers and by websites. The
> improved efficiency of HTTP/2 will foster more widespread adoption of
> HTTPS by addressing some of the biggest performance concerns (valid or
> otherwise) that website administrators have with TLS. The sooner we
> finish the HTTP/2 spec, the sooner these benefits will be realized.

The charter says we're doing a protocol that can replace HTTP/1.1:

"Retain the semantics of HTTP/1.1, leveraging existing documentation
(see above), including (but not limited to) HTTP methods, status codes,
URIs, and where appropriate, header fields."

If it can't do HTTP URIs, it's not a replacement. What we need to argue
about is not *whether* to support HTTP URIs, but *how*.

If you believe it's ok to abandon HTTP URIs then you should lobby for a
rechartering of the WG.

Best regards, Julian