Re: "Secure" proxies for HTTP URIs [was: new version trusted-proxy20 draft]

On 25/02/2014 8:49 p.m., Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Mar 25 février 2014 03:58, James Cloos a écrit :
>> if anyone has a legal requirement to avoid end-to-end encryption, they
>> MUST accomplish that by avoiding TLS between client and proxy.  Such
>> requirements MUST not affect the rest of us.)
>
> This forbids an http/1 use case and as such is outside the workgroup charter

There is also no sound reason so far presented behind forbidding that
same use-case in HTTP/2. Just a few implementers choosing not to do it
for reasons which have all be countered by other implementers who do.

Also, in my (medium-low) familiarity with such laws TLS or any other
mechanism used to transport packets to the collection point (proxy) is
not relevant to the criterion placed upon the ISP. Only the ability to
accurately and *fully* collect and report is prescribed.
 End-to-end TLS violates that legal requiremet, TLS-to-proxy does not.

Amos