Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

On 2014-02-26 08:28, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 25 February 2014 11:07, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> I'd have to check the old mailing list logs from 1998, but I think it
>> wasn't intentional but a mistake based on the compression keyword
>> values (none, compress, deflate, gzip) - the same sort of mistake
>> that's been made by HTTP implementors due to the unfortunately
>> confusion between zlib the format and deflate the encoding name being
>> used when zlib is meant.
>
> Do you think that this is something that we can realistically fix?
> People have put up with bad "deflate" in HTTP/1.1, but do you think
> that there is any chance that we can address that problem in HTTP/2 by
> saying "deflate MUST be RFC1950, reject otherwise"?

I would think the obvious would be better:

  * Make 2.0 change the name to add "zlib" explicitly alongside
gzip+deflate
  * Add a note that deflate has confusion *in 1.1* and instructing
1.1<->2.0 gateways to enforce correct deflate/zlib labeling or
re-encoding.

Saves a few bytes if deflate/zlib is used at all and 1.1<->2.0 gateways
can translate either just the label, or the encoding as necessary.

Amos