Re: new version trusted-proxy20 draft

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, Ilari Liusvaara wrote:

> Doing encrypted caching... That would require client and server to
> share state.

Well, yes, but my thinking was that the key to decrypt this object could
be shared over a control channel. If login is required to the site then
only clients would get this key after login.

> Encrypting arbitrary data in upstream direction is doable. Question is,
> what can be encrypted without causing smuggling issues.

I'd guess as soon as encryption is employed, smuggling is always possible.
But if the proxy owner wants for instance to emply whitelists of what
sites are allowed then hopefully this whitelist would only allow sites
where smuggling is unlikely.

> Such system does not necressarily have to modify upstream/downstream
> data, just be able to reject requests.

Well, it still needs to inspect the data so it still needs to decrypt it.
I agree that it doesn't need to possibility of modifying it and delivering
it to the client with proper encryption/signature, it just has to refuse
to serve it.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se