Re: issue 381: Discovery of the support of the HTTP2 protocol: DNS-based Upgrade

On Feb 17, 2014, at 3:08 PM, Josh Goodall <joshua.goodall@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 18 Feb 2014, at 8:29 am, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:
>
>> Right.  I optimized for fewer queries.  The record format that I had was
>> one approach.  The key issue is that one should not have levels of
>> indirection in the RDATA, and even better that the QNAME for the record
>> be the same as for the A or AAAA.  On the other hand, then you have to
>> deploy a new RRtype.
>
> May I specifically address the issue of more queries? Yes it can
> happen - but I’m not sure it’s going to be a problem in the wild.
> I imagine that would only happen in two unlikely cases:
>
> * someone were to separately delegate the “_tcp” subdomain. Not
>  saying it can’t happen, but I haven’t seen it in ten years of
>  deploying SRV records.
>
> * If HTTP/2.x changes to specify more transports than TCP. Even
>  then, mechanisms exist to handle that too (new scheme names, or
>  explicit in URL e.g. I think the Diameter protocol includes this).

We don't want to do that.  Imagine the advertisement on the side of a bus or the back of a magazine would need to read "for further information, visit: www.example.com or http-quic://www.example.com".  That is hard to remember, hard to type, and marketing folks won't be too keen on the advantage of including that new scheme name.  As another worse problem, imagine someone is viewing interesting content with a URL with the new scheme name and they tweet that URL or post it to Facebook or email it to their friends, etc., but their friend doesn't have a browser that understands the new scheme name (http-quic) or that new scheme name is blocked on the friend's network (e.g., UDP is blocked).  That won't work well.

We are stuck with the HTTP scheme, and we are stuck with the current service name ("www.").  It's up to the computer to figure out how to connect the user to that resource, rather than the user's problem to type in the correct scheme name for some new transport or new protocol.

-d