Re: Trusted Proxy Alternatives Analysis

On 12 Feb 2014, at 6:05 am, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Mar 11 février 2014 03:39, Mark Nottingham a écrit :
>> Nicolas,
>>
>> Can you expand upon that? A throwaway dismissal like that doesn't really
>> help.
>
> The integrity hash is buried in the html page (content). Therefore, when a
> web client will perform a GET on one of those resources, proxies will only
> see the URL and have no way to know it should be checked against
> something.

In the most common case, the HTML page will be transferred over TLS, so the proxy won't have an opportunity to see it anyway (unless it is doing particularly nasty things).

> For the security to be effective the integrity metadata needs to be
> propagated in the web client http commands.

I think the security properties of that scheme are becoming well understood, and they are effective within certain bounds. They may not allow a proxy to "add value", but that isn't a necessary condition for every new addition to the Web, surely?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/