Re: Trusted Proxy Alternatives Analysis

"* Increased SSL usage may apply pressure to optimize the
domain/"location" usage. So we may be hopeful that the situation here
might improve."

Not sure who this is good for though. Which of the above content owners
wants to offload their content ownership? I mean, the list above is
essentially CDNs, Google, Facebook, and Twitter. I doubt any of that gang
is excited to sacrifice their ownership (or share private keys) to allow
abcnews.com to deploy over TLS in a way that does not significantly degrade
page load performance.

Also, is it a good thing that we are creating an architecture where page
load time has to be traded off against diversity of page content? To me,
the mashup (the ability to coherently display content from many sources on
one page) is one of the things that makes the web so successful and not
something I'd want to discourage via a performance penalty.

In general, the need for reverse proxies to mitigate the performance
penalty of HTTP2 over TLS feels like a contortion. Forward proxies are
ideally positioned to see all content and provide last mile optimization
(caching, accleration, etc.) optimized for the unique characteristics of
the access network. Ironically, I think forward proxies are needed to move
TLS coverage on the web beyond single domain sites like Google, Facebook,
Twitter, and ecommerce/banking sites b/c they are best able to minimize the
performance impact of making that switch.

Peter