Re: HPACK analysis

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>wrote:

>  I'll correspond with your preface by saying I'm not a security expect,
> but how would the Basic-vs.-OAuth attack work?  You have to have an exact
> match to the header for HPACK to compress it; that means
> that "Authorization:  Bearer <blahblah>" and "Authorization:  Basic
> <blahblah>" will never compress against each other even with the same
> value.  The attacker would be able to tell whether the client had ever sent
> a header by that name for headers not in the static header table, but
> Authorization is.  Or is the attack that the CORS response enables the
> Basic header to get into the compressor, at which point it's attackable?

The issue arises because OAuth and Basic share the same HTTP
header, Authorization, and CORS whitelists headers for cross-origin use
based on the name of the header.  That means when the server whitelists
the Authorization header for OAuth, the server also permits all
cross-origin use of the Authorization, which lets the attacker probe
passwords used for Basic authentication.

I see your larger point, that an attacker can guess-and-check for arbitrary
> header values in the history, which was originally considered an advantage
> of HPACK -- that an attacker could *only* guess-and-check entire header
> values (rather than pieces of a header value as with GZip).

That might be an advantage of HPACK compared to other proposals, but that's
a disadvantage of HPACK compared to the existing security properties of
HTTP/1.1.

> An attacker with access to a warm compressor can learn:
>
>    - If any header name not in the static table has ever been sent with
>    any value
>

>    - If a specific header name/value combination has been previously sent

That's a bit stronger than what Eric and I are claiming but similar in
spirit.  The problem is those abilities is that they permit the attacker to
run dictionary attacks against passwords used with Basic authentication
(among other things).

Adam