Re: Clarification on HTTP redirects 301,302, and 307

On 2014-01-16 21:56, Phil Hunt wrote:
> The feeling in the SCIM WG, was that we should escalate to the HTTPbis group rather than try to tackle it. I definitely hear you about the charter and the Chrome issue.

Well, feedback from the Chrome team back in 2012 was to go ahead and use
308. They "just" need to do their homework now.

> Still, from my perspective, the existing semantics draft is not clear with regards to both 301 and 302 suggesting the same 307 code.

Again: can you propose something else that works within the constraints
we're working in?

> Sounds like, I should leave my proposal as is, except maybe to change 308 to 309 and let the ADs sort it out. I can also make sure it doesn't conflict with the semantics draft (the above issue aside).

What? Do you want to seriously suggest an alias of 308? That's not going
to fly.

> One of the reasons I chose REST in my draft was to narrow the scope of services to avoid any overlap with user-agent.  Does that occur if I open it to any HTTP service not intended for user-agents?

"We use the term "user agent" to refer to any of the various client
programs that initiate a request, including (but not limited to)
browsers, spiders (web-based robots), command-line tools, native
applications, and mobile apps." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-25.html#rfc.section.2.1.p.2>

...so I'm not sure what the question is about. In general, thinking of
"Rest services" as something different from what's used by a browser is
a really bad idea.

> Happy to make any other changes to the draft in the mean time to reflect the discussion.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

Best regards, Julian