Re: HTTP/2 and NCSA

On 7 Jan 2014, at 12:37 am, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> In message <alpine.DEB.2.00.1401061128260.3079@wnl.j3.bet>, Yves Lafon writes:
>
>>> One of my users asked and I couldn't answer, so I'm passing it on:
>>>
>>>   Who will (and when will they) standardize how NCSA log format
>>>   works with HTTP/2.0, in particular for "new" stuff like PUSH ?
>>>
>>> My cursory research indicates that W3C has documented the NCSA
>>> format (somewhat) but it is not clear to me if they actually
>>> consider themselves steward of the standardisation ?
>>
>> The document is from... 1996 [1], so the space is up for grab.
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-logfile.html
>
> Yes, that's how I derived that W3C didn't seem to be very interested.
>
> Are we ?

Hmm. It’s not really a standard in the sense that IETF does them, and I don’t know of any other log formats that have been standardised in that sense.

That said, if an implementation wanted to publish an Informational RFC documenting their HTTP2-friendly log format, that’s entirely doable, and I’m sure they’d get some help if they asked.

Cheers,

Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/