Re: END_SEGMENT? (#537)

On 06/30/2014 09:54 AM, David Krauss wrote:
> “Tackle”? It’s an editorial issue, and reviewing GitHub it essentially boils down to specifying what sort of flush should occur.
>
> I don’t think anyone’s talking about removing END_SEGMENT or WebSocket support. It’s essential to interactive applications, including the sort of things that WebSockets often does. This is something all proxies should handle going forward.

David, we had a discussion on this thread about two weeks ago about the
layering violations and constraints on intermediaries that are
introduced by END_SEGMENT and whether END_SEGMENT is needed for the core
spec.

Also, I brought up the fact that END_SEGMENT's requirements on
intermediary behavior is not compatible with HTTP/1.1 interfaces. There
is no concept of segments in HTTP/1.1, so there is no way to transfer
those semantics through an HTTP/1.1 interface.

I've updated the linked issue in the subject line.