Re: CONTINUATION was: #540: "jumbo" frames

On Jun 27, 2014, at 3:46 PM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 03:35:29PM -0500, Jason Greene wrote:
>>> Then probably your and Johnny's choices indicate that there are at least
>>> two reasonable implementations on the client side. Maybe we could make
>>> the spec a bit stricter an only allow CONTINUATION frame if a header is
>>> over 16kB and indicate that it is legal for the recipient to reject them
>>> in any other case ? That would solve both sides of the problem :
>>>
>>> - recipients not interested in supporting more than 16kB do not need
>>>   to implement them - at all -
>>>
>>> - there is no incentive for senders to produce them unless absolutely
>>>   necessary, which ensures that recipients who do not implement them
>>>   will never get into trouble below 16kB
>>>
>>> Then we're exactly in the same situation we used to face with H/1 which
>>> is that some implementations which do not support large enough headers
>>> will simply reject the message, and nothing changes for anyone.
>>>
>>> Would that be OK for every one ?
>>
>> IMO it doesn?t help that much. If recipients are not going to implement them
>> then it should be an optional extensional vs an interop mess.
>
> It already works like this in H/1 and that's not an issue at all. Basically
> you find small headers over the net and large ones inside certain corporate
> environments. Depending on where you deploy, you'll know that some components
> are suited or not. It already works like this today and products adapt to
> their target.

Sure but H/1 doesn’t implement multiplexing and state sharing. As you know, In H1 with a proxy you typically have a 1:1 client connection to the origin endpoint, so if one of the requests sense too big of a request it doesn’t really affect much. In H/2 if you coalesce it creates HOL problems and potentially kills the connection. Handling it is a PITA because there is no negotiation.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat