Re: intermediaries, implicit gzip, etags, no-transform

"Martin Nilsson" wrote:

> I'm only talking about browsers here. The final interpretation of the
> data lies with the browser, and is not only built into browsers where
> addons and configuration changes modifies this, but into standards
> itself, like user style sheets for CSS.

I'm not _not_ talking about browsers, but there's a big difference with
user style sheets, which can be shut off if the user feels something's
not right, or being hidden, or whatever. The final *display* of the
content is up to the browser, but what that content consists of must be
up to the content publisher. If that hadn't been the case on the Web up
to this point, everyone would still be using Compuserve and AOL -- at
least I'm not willing to discount the possibility that publisher
control over content was the undoing of those walled gardens. Without
publisher control, perhaps the Web would've died an untimely death
before ever intermediaries were needed to make it scale, intermediaries
which theoretically allow the publisher to maintain control of their
content and not have that authority usurped by what's best for browsers.

-Eric