Re: intermediaries, implicit gzip, etags, no-transform

"Martin Nilsson" wrote:

> And we can know if the request is coming from XHR. We can also know
> if the resource is inspected, saved, etc. since it is our UA code.

And intermediaries? How are they to know any of this, since it isn't
*their* UA code?

> The response code doesn't have any semantic value here though, since
> the UA already knows that the resource is transformed.

Maybe not to you, but without those semantics, how can intermediaries
participate in the communication? That's where the semantic value comes
in -- even if it isn't relevant to you, interoperability is relevant to
the other components you don't have control over, is the point here.

-Eric