Re: Range Requests vs Content Codings

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM,  <K.Morgan@iaea.org> wrote:
>> We have rapidly growing append-only files.  Currently we use gzip Transfer-Encoding to compress an identity range request.  But since T-E went away (again) in h2, it's no longer possible.
>
> damn it... I just implemented the feature on my server. another fool's errand.

Sorry if that's misleading. I meant that I implemented it on a 1.1 server.

> I realize it's a controversial issue, but if I understand correctly, h2 is supposed to replace *everything* you could do in 1.1.

I'm not keeping up with h2, but I assume h2 will have its own
mechanism to compress bytes on transfer? And h2 intermediaries can
interact with h1 clients/servers using TE/T-E headers? Then it's not a
problem.

Zhong Yu
http://bayou.io