Re: intermediaries, implicit gzip, etags, no-transform

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 22:23:05 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> If the origin server say "no-transform", and the UA receives a
> transformed payload, that's non-conforming. I don't believe there's any
> wiggle room here.

That depends on where you draw the line for the UA box. If you split the
browser into multiple processes, are they allowed to send different
representation of the data between each other? What if you move some
processes to different hosts?

It also depends on what your view is on the authority over data. Should
the origin server overrule the user agents decision? If the user agent
explicitly asked for compressed data, should the origin server be allowed
to overrule that? Should no-transform defeat all network security
appliances?

> The spec is agnostic about what kind of payloads it's used on. It might
> be true that *in practice* it's mostly used for these, but that doesn't
> change the protocol requirement to leave the payload alone when it's set.

In the case of current Turbo it's not HTTP so the protocol requirement
doesn't apply.

/Martin Nilsson