Re: HPACK

On 18 June 2014 10:52, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> and I would mandata that a request always provide the following
> fields in this exact order, as the first fields in HEADER(...):
>
>         :scheme
>         :method
>         :authority
>         :path
>         :query
>
> and that responses always have the :status as the first field.
>
> My finger in the air estimate that this reduces the processing
> requirement for the "is this a trivial case" decision by about
> a factor of ten.

This is an interesting proposal, I'll be interested to see the
response it gets from the list. This isn't problematic for hyper to
do, though having to sort the headers is a bit of a pain. I wonder if
it defeats the 'streaming' nature of HPACK, however, if we mandate
some kind of ordering from the higher layers.

I'm tentatively OK with this if intermediaries think it will help them.