Re: http2 Working Code

On 13 June 2014 22:42, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com> wrote:

> So Jetty's had a working http2 implementation for less that 48 hours and
> I'm already feeling the affect of working code in as much as some of my
> vocal opposition to some hpack/http2 design is melting away.    When asked
> "should we make a provision for optionally flow controlling headers?", my
> response was - nah it is too difficult to do without radical change, so
> we'll just have to reject connections that send big headers.
>
> However, I'm not100% sure if my acceptance is really for good technical
> reasons, or just because of some kind of Stockholm syndrome.

​
​For what it's worth, even without a fully implemented HTTP stack, once my
experimental HPACK+Huffman code was written and verified to at least
theoretically interop [1], all the implementation pain sort of evaporated,
so I'm in pretty much the same boat as Greg.

HPACK felt painful to implement, but - at least in my case - it wasn't
actually hard. And libraries are starting to become available, so the pain
can be avoided if you don't mind flirting with a potential future
monoculture.

[1] it correctly parsed stories from
https://github.com/http2jp/hpack-test-case/
​