Re: Question on HTTP 408

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> I'd go further, do you think we could improve the client's ability to safely
> retry if a 408 was also emitted on persistent connections *after* a
> request/response was already served ?

You mean as a second response? That would effectively kill the connection for
curl at least (without even reading the response) since it'll consider data on
a connection it wants to re-use as a sign of badness and just close it.

> I agree we need to find a consensus and better document these corner cases.
> Most commonly deployed clients, servers and intermediaries are on this list,
> so it should not be too hard to know what to change where :-)

It is also important to remember that many of us have very old code bases
still alive and in use out there so what we change now can easily break things
we wrote a decade ago that still is being used...

--

  / daniel.haxx.se