Re: Interleaving #481 (was Re: Limiting header block size)

On 3 June 2014 11:06, Simone Bordet <simone.bordet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you please expand in a more technical way the arguments of why it
> is a bad idea, and how the existence of continuations is orthogonal to
> header size ?
> Making examples would help.

A header block can contain any amount of actual data.  Anywhere from
absolutely nothing (because it's all padding, or it's really short) to
really ---ing gigantic (because it uses HPACK).

Deciding that you want to reject a frame based on a signal that is so
abstractly connected to the actual thing you are concerned is a bad
idea.  It is essentially arbitrary (hence the date/RGB comment).
Arbitrary rejections lead to all sorts of bad behaviour from clients
trying to avoid arbitrary behaviour, up to and including cargo
cult-type actions.

(And yes, I'm aware of how this is an argument for having a known,
deterministic way to know whether a request is acceptable before
sending it, but, as I explained, I don't think that this is feasible.)