Re: hpack static table question?

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:45 AM, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com> wrote:

> Tatsuhiro,
>
> sorry but I'm still not understanding.   If you want to clear the
> reference set, there is a 1 byte code to send for that.   It makes little
> sense to set the header table size to 0 just to clear the reference set.

​You are mixing the capability of decoder and encoder.  Clearing header
table by sending SETTINGS_HEADER_TABLE_SIZE = 0 is done by decoder.  On the
other hand, sending context update to clear reference set is a job of
encoder.​  And we have different compression context for decoder and
encoder on each side.

> This also raises another slight concern.  When the copied static entry in
> the dynamic table is eventually evicted, then that field is also evicted
> from the reference set.  Chances are that it will then be put straight back
> in there.  Seams pointless?

​Sorry, I don't understand.  What is the problem here exactly?

Best regards,
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa​