Re: Negotiating compression

> On May 29, 2014, at 1:40 AM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>
> These ones could be advertised in the ALPN name (h2 = failsafe, h2h =
> hpack version for example) so that we don't need an extra round trip
> to know what is supported.

You mean disable/disallow the Huffman encoding bit in HPACK right? HPACK with a size 0 table is easy for embedded devices (and everyone else), offers decent reduction in header sizes, and runs no risk of a CRIME style attack.

> That way if a CRIME-like attack surfaces, simply disable h2h for the
> time it takes to design a new encoding and applications relying on
> passing everything in the same connection continue to work, just
> slightly slower.

If you did the above if likely wouldn't be slower, it would even be computationally faster, and might still be small enough to limit round trips