Re: Our Schedule

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:31:00 +0200
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, Martin Nilsson <nilsson@opera.com>, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:09:35AM +0000, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> Whilst I agree that a major benefit is compression, if we don't do
> something about having to parse strings (e.g. after we decompress them)
> searching linearly for delimiters, then IMO we're missing another major
> opportunity for benefit.

Yeah but only the few of us dealing with many thousands of connections
per second know the cost of parsing strings unfortunately. I've long
abandonned this battle considering that other processings were added
at some points with several orders of magnitude higher costs (eg:
gzipping of headers), and fortunately replaced.

Willy