Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http2-encryption-03.txt

So some thoughts on this from a proxy point of view.

#1 As a transparent proxy you could observe a client make a request, get
an alt-svc header in the response, and then see the client make another
clear text request. The proxy could at that point make a TLS connection
between the proxy and destination server.

#2 As a transparent proxy you could observe a client make a request, get
an response lacking alt-svc, and inject one to get the client to connect
through TLS to the proxy (given client support). The proxy needs a way to
distinguish between these TLS connections and "real" (opportunistic or
https-initiated) TLS connections from the client, which currently can only
be done by picking a differnt port that is unlikely (or probed not) to be
in use. It would mess with alt-svc caching however.

If increasing the feet of encrypted cables is a goal, then both of these
scenarios should be valid.

/Martin Nilsson