Re: HPACK problems (was http/2 & hpack protocol review)

On Tue, 6 May 2014, Cory Benfield wrote:

> As an example of the under-specification, consider that the reference set
> and header sets are defined as unordered but do not say whether they may
> contain duplicate elements. My assumption was that they could not and so I
> could assume all implementations will join multiple values with null bytes,
> but that assumption has not been made elsewhere (nghttp2 certainly doesn't).

Perhaps you can suggest an updated wording for the spec that makes it clearer?

I (and others) have used nghttp2 quite a lot for interop lately so I want to
be sure that what it does is what the spec says so that we don't interop
against something not actually compliant!

> These interop bugs with HPACK are ridiculously difficult to catch.

Any more than other compression or encryption interop bugs (I'm just
suggesting that the area of compression/checksumming/encryption makes annoying
interop debugging)? If so, what is it that makes HPACK more difficult than
others?

--

  / daniel.haxx.se