Re: GOAWAY and proxies (#458)

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Daniel Sommermann <dcsommer@fb.com> wrote:

>  On 05/02/2014 03:30 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) wrote:
>
> The way our code works right now is, on receipt of a GOAWAY, we put
> ourselves in a lame duck mode and kill all streams above the last accepted
> stream id with an error code to retry them. If we're already in the lame
> duck mode, great. We don't track anything about previous accepted stream
> ids.
>

> Yeah, this is how I am hoping most clients are implemented.

Yes, I wish all clients were implemented like Chromium :P

> I'm not completely sold on needing any solution here
>

> Is it because you perceive the problem to be small and not worth the text
> or that there is no problem? I'd argue strongly against both from
> experience. I am pretty sure all 1.1 to 2.0 intermediary implementations
> will run into this issue to varying degrees. It'd be better to have a
> standard way to deal with it and avoid the surprise factor and reinventing
> the wheel for new deployments.

In spec cleanliness maybe it makes sense. Do we think we'll have many 1.1
to 2.0 intermediaries? Maybe in the non-browser case? And maybe for IE if
they support 2.0 in the clear? But Firefox and Chromium will go over TLS,
so I just kinda wonder how important this is in practice. I dunno. Just
saying I'm not completely sold, but if you and others definitely want it,
then I'm fine letting it in.