Re: #466 segment compression

On 02.05.2014 21:37, Roberto Peon wrote:

> Theoretically Keith is correct about intermediaries needing to
> decompress with c-e gzip.

Intermediaries are already decompressing with c-e gzip.

> In practice, though, Johnny (and I guess) is also right- Since almost
> all traffic comes from clients which support c-e gzip, intermediaries
> will not need to decompress the vast majority of the time.
>
> The opposite is true for a-e gzip, unfortunately.
> Almost no clients support it, thus the intermediary is almost always
> decompressing, and it also thus has poor discrimination between
> malicious and innocent actors. In other words the DoS surface area is
> very much bigger.

For potential HTTP2 server, clients, intermediaries this can be avoided
by mandating t-e gzip (assuming t-e was meant). Then only gateways
between the worlds would regularly need to decompress. For the majority
of the traffic this would not be necessary even for those gateways as
the content is compressed differently like video, audio, images or is
send uncompressed.

Roland