Re: Support for gzip at the server #424 (Consensus Call)

On Apr 26, 2014, at 12:00 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 26.04.2014 03:40, Mark Nottingham wrote:

>>> I got distracted by the other gzip discussion.
>>>
>>> I really still believe that we should try to improve the situation; just because we can't require it for all chains of intermediaries doesn't mean we shouldn't ask for support in origin servers...
>>
>> "ask" and "require" are very different things... what are you thinking of in terms of text?
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> "to allow compression of big request payloads, origin servers SHOULD support gzip content coding in request messages"

I don't think that is appropriate.  Content-Encoding is generally not
governed by the server -- it is a characteristic of the representations,
so it will be determined by the resource owner's desires and not by the
protocol engine.  An origin server cannot implement that SHOULD even if
the developers wanted to, since it would interfere with method semantics.

....Roy