RE: HTTP/2 Priorities Proposal

I rather like the overall simplification of the proposal.

I however have one concern: priority groups are structures that the client knows will be persisted by the server. As such, a client changing the priority of a group is certain that the server will be able to apply it.
This is useful for example for the tab focusing use-case. Assuming the client creates a priority group for each tab, it can easily change the priorities for the different tabs when the user changes the foreground tab, and is certain that these changes will be applied by the server.
With the proposal, the client has no certainty that the server has retained enough information to apply priority changes for a tab switching. It can update the priorities (the weight) for the streams at the top of the sub-trees corresponding to each tab, but the server may already have discarded all information regarding these streams and be unable to apply the priority changes.

A possible workaround would be to strongly suggest to server implementations that keeping information about top level streams is helpful to client that want to reprioritize a whole set of streams.

Hervé.