Re: HTTP/2 Priorities Proposal

On 8 April 2014 16:23, Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com> wrote:
> I believe it would be simpler (both conceptually and in practice) to
> slightly modify the priority structure.

Looking back at this, this proposal makes the following two changes:

1. removes priority groups

2. adds weights at all levels of the dependency tree (as opposed to
just at the grouping layer)

The first removes some capabilities, as has been noted elsewhere.  The
ability to create and weight a named thing that is independent of any
stream is a features, but it's also complexity.  This is a net
complexity loss.

The second is arguably an expansion of the capabilities, which could
be perceived as an increase in complexity, except for the fact that it
basically just removes a special case.  This is an increase in
capability, which might be perceived equally as an increase in
complexity or an increase in uniformity.

Personally, I'd like to hear more of what others think about this.
The comments I've seen are generally favourable, but I know that Mike
wants more time to consider the implications.

Is there anyone else on the fence, or - probably more importantly -
opposed to making this change?