Re: Optimizing Huffman inputs

On 13 April 2014 02:04, Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi> wrote:
> The character set of cookies seems odd. Is '(' allowed without quoting?
> And why is there '>' but not '<'?

I ripped the list of characters from RFC 6265.  I thought that this
was odd, but I'm fairly certain that the folks writing this spec knew
what they were doing.  It's entirely possible that I introduced an
error when transcribing, but that one is (I think) right.

> Is the idea to choose encoding of random octet strings so that it is of
> minimal size after Huffman?

That's right.  The idea is to favour '0' or '1', which have four bit
encodings, over symbols with longer encodings.