Re: #445: Transfer-codings

My $0.02: why pick Gzip over Deflate?
A Deflate stream is shorter than Gzip, Gzip is a file format which eventually embeds a file name, holds a time stamp — 32 bits epoch than will not even survive past January 2038 — and defines a compression method which has always been Deflate (and will probably never change) followed by Deflate compressed data. Why bother including all this extra payload and not use a stripped down Deflate (RFC 1951) or more precisely a Zlib stream (RFC 1950)?
I know that some server vendors had a bogus implementation of Deflate in the past and send a raw Deflate stream without the Zlib header and checksum, Billy Hoffman explained this blunder and why nowadays only Gzip is used: http://zoompf.com/blog/2012/02/lose-the-wait-http-compression .
Why not course correct now and pick the simpler Deflate over Gzip?